After DR of a TSM server, do you need to restore the primary storage pool from the copy cool ?

It depends on if it’s small files or not. I normally have a small-file pool, which is the DIRMC, VMTLMC, and TOCDESTINATION. The offsite for this is kept reclaimed down to 1 tape, and I try to restore that primary pool first.

For large file, TDP, VM and image full backups, they can restore directly from tape, no problem.

For small files, block level incrementals, or instant restore, it depends on the number of tapes, number of drives and number of concurrent restores.

One restore with 6+ tape drives and it’s not much of an issue.

Ten restores with 6 tape drives could be an issue.

This is where properly setting your RTO/RPO and tiers in advance matters.

Tier-0 would be your TSM server, the DIRCOPY/DIRPOOL, ESX hosts, switches, arrays, etc. You’d restore or rebuild these directly before anything else.

Tier-1 would be the things you can restore within the first couple of days. It would be in one collocation group or one storage pool. You could restore those first, direct from tape. It should only be a small number of systems, such as a NIM server, HR/Payroll, and inventory/medical tracking. Primary systems only.

Tier-2 systems would be what can be restored within a week or two. This might be direct from tape, or restore to disk first. It would be any other important systems that your company can run without, but which is a serious pain to go a long time. Generally, this would be under 50 systems. You wouldn’t usually restore all of these at a normal DR test, but maybe a different subset at each DR test, just to make sure you *can* restore them.

Tier 3 might be the systems that you don’t restore for a few months. Some might be rebuilt from production clones, and some might just restore a source tree for critical system development. Dev, QA, HA, and anything else that you can operate without, but which should eventually be taken care of. You probably won’t ever restore this at a DR site, rather you’d wait until you fail back to new-production. If they were unrecoverable, they could be rebuilt, or decommissioned, without business risk.

2014-08-25 IBC new route

recovery ride. left gps at home. Used phone. Garmin is imported from the Strava TCX export, missing laps and pauses.

Power data is broken, with more drops than connections.
Not sure why, if that’s a Stages BTLE issue, or if my phone couldn’t catch the data from my back pocket.

Also, no HRM data because I only had an ANT+ strap.

My right shoulder is in pain, and very sore from HH100. I had a massage today which helped my legs a bunch, but my shoulder is from a pinch/abrasion in my neck. Low back is sore too. Need more stretching. I haven’t taken NSAIDs yet, because that reduces rebuild based growth/improvements. Maybe tomorrow.

Not sure if I’ll ride Tuesday.

2014-08-25 IBC new route

21.5mi Distance
1:27:03 Moving Time
467ft Elevation

94W Weighted Avg Power
66kJ Total Work
20 Training Load
38% Intensity

Data Avg Max
Speed 14.8mi/h 55.3mi/h
Cadence 53 97
Power 13W 643W
Calories 73
Elapsed Time 1:42:10

Heart Rate Zones
No data, but it was pretty slow/low speed

Zone Distribution
NOTE: There are a huge number of signal drops here, so the Z1 data is overinflated.
Z1 Active Recovery 1 – 134 W 1:13:23 96%
Z2 Endurance 135 – 183 W 1:02 1%
Z3 Tempo 184 – 220 W 31s 1%
Z4 Threshold 221 – 257 W 17s 0%
Z5 VO2Max 258 – 294 W 16s 0%
Z6 Anaerobic 295 – 367 W 25s 1%
Z7 Neuromuscular 368+ W 39s 1%
Based on an FTP of 245.
Distance: 21.48 mi
Time: 1:27:10
Avg Speed: 14.8 mph
Elevation Gain: 551 ft
Calories: 1,573 C
Avg Temperature: 97.0 °F

Time: 1:27:10
Moving Time: 1:28:45
Elapsed Time: 1:42:10
Avg Speed: 14.8 mph
Avg Moving Speed: 14.5 mph
Max Speed: 28.0 mph

Elevation Gain: 551 ft
Elevation Loss: 560 ft
Min Elevation: 430 ft
Max Elevation: 577 ft

Heart Rate
ESTIMATED from RPE – did not have HRM strap
Avg HR: 108 bpm
Max HR: 145 bpm

Avg Power: 94 W
Max Power: 643 W

Avg Bike Cadence: 53 rpm
Max Bike Cadence: 97 rpm

97° Feels like 97°
7 mph ESE wind
Humidity 35%
Source: KDFW

Additional Information
Device: Unknown,
Elevation Corrections: Enabled
Power Average Calculations: Use Zeros
Summary Data: Edited

2014-07-13 Recovery Ride

Just a short jaunt around town to stretch my legs.  I was feeling stiff and tight.  I tried not to push too hard, but on the last couple of miles I pushed a little bit. 

Also, I decided to stop updating MapMyRide, Runkeeper, Endomondo, and Training Peaks. None of those buy me anything, and it’s just extra effort to update them. TP will update itself from Garmin, but Garmin now also uses Peaksware stats. MMR is only useful if I’m tracking diet too, since Strava Mapping is getting better. Runkeeper doesn’t let me name workouts, is missing the analysis I like, and overall has almost no social aspect. Endomondo has a couple of neat stats, but uploading is very flaky.

My stats will just be Garmin (automatic), Strava (posting), and TrainingPeaks (as pulled from Garmin). I might even pay for Strava, but I’m not sure. We’ll see how the Garmin stats progress.

Distance: 5.87 mi
Time: 25:40
Avg Speed: 13.7 mph
Elevation Gain: 220 ft
Calories: 316 C
Avg Temperature: 97.5 °F
Time: 25:40
Moving Time: 25:14
Elapsed Time: 30:37
Avg Speed: 13.7 mph
Avg Moving Speed: 14.0 mph
Max Speed: 31.4 mph
Elevation Gain: 220 ft
Elevation Loss: 240 ft
Min Elevation: 530 ft
Max Elevation: 623 ft
Heart Rate
Avg HR: 130 bpm
Max HR: 159 bpm
Zones% of Maxbpm
Avg Power: 209 W
Max Power: 902 W
Max Avg Power (20 min): 176 W
Normalized Power (NP): 248 W
Intensity Factor (IF): 0.87
Training Stress Score (TSS): 31.6
FTP Setting: 285 W
Work: 321 kJ
Avg Bike Cadence: 77 rpm
Max Bike Cadence: 105 rpm
Avg Temperature: 97.5 °F
Min Temperature: 89.6 °F
Max Temperature: 100.4 °F